sa

Dresses from Shabby Apple

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

DIY Easter Egg Garland Tutorial

Hey y'all!

I recently made some Easter eggs out of string and turned some of them into garland.

I thought I'd share with you how to make them!



All purpose flour
Liquid starch
(I used Sta-Flo found in the laundry detergent isle at Walmart.)
Water balloons 
String
(I used embroidery floss but any string will do.)




There were so many colors it was hard to choose!

First, you need to make decoupage.  To do this you mix one cup of liquid starch with 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.  Fee free to double or triple this.




Then you need to place your string into the decoupage.  Don't just throw the string in because it will get knotted.  What worked for me was to swirl it piece by piece into the decoupage.  This way I didn't have a problem with knots.




Take a blown up balloon and wind the decoupaged string around it.  I used an entire strand of embroidery floss per balloon.  If you use something that comes in a bigger bundle, you will need to cut off sections.




The balloons will take several hours to dry.  I recommend letting them dry overnight to make sure that they are firm.




After the string has dried over night and is firm, pop the balloons.
If you notice any white crust from the dried decoupage, a straight pin scrapes it off quite nicely.




Then it's time to decorate!
I turned some of mine into a garland.
To do this I used more embroidery floss and threaded it through the eggs.
I secured them where I wanted on the string by using hot glue.





The extras I put in a glass bowl, and they look great in there too!




There are tons of different ways you could use these to decorate.
They were so much fun to make and look so cute!
Let me know if anyone makes these.
I'd love to see what you come up with!

Enjoy!

This craft project was inspired by the craft found HERE.

9 comments:

  1. How creative! They turned out great, too. I love it and it can definitely be done for every holiday in all different colors.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I LOVE this. It's so darling! I'm definitely going to have to make these now. Thanks for figuring it all!

    -terri @ lifelibertyandwine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such a great idea! I just might have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute! I love them in the glass jars-that's so so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this idea!!I put candy in the balloon and I'm going to use these for our Easter egg hunt this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw these somewhere else and they had put small foil covered chocolate eggs into the balloons before they blew them up. That's my plan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely trying this but I am wondering, does it work with yarn or does it have to be string???

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by y'all! I love your comments, and I read each and EVERY one!