sa

Dresses from Shabby Apple

Friday, November 18, 2011

Saying Goodbye

Yesterday I had to do one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

I had to say goodbye to Youri.


It was so sudden.
One minute he was fine.
The next he wasn't.

I noticed on Tuesday night that he was having a hard time breathing.
Through Wednesday it started sounding worse.
Yesterday I took him to the vet.
When I went to bed Wednesday night,
I didn't realize that was the last night he'd sleep with me in my bed.
When I took him out of the house that morning,
I didn't know it was going to be the last time he was there.
I thought I'd be bringing him home.

A couple hours after dropping him off the vet called.
She said that his lips were turning purple because he wasn't getting enough oxygen.
She said that they had put him in an oxygen box, and that he was doing well in there.
But it was only temporary.
They tried giving him medicine to open his airways and an antibiotic to try to get any fluid out of his lungs.
But he didn't respond to them.
They told me the best thing I could do was to put him to sleep.
They said that if I didn't, he would end up suffocating to death.
So yesterday at 5:30 p.m. I did the only thing that I knew to do, and I let him go.

I can't help but to think that all the abuse he went through caused this.
He was only 9.

I just can't believe he's not here.
I can't believe it happened so fast.
I can't believe that when I get ready to go down to Charleston for drill this weekend,
there won't be a little dog running along side of me making sure I don't forget him.
I couldn't believe he wasn't there when I woke up this morning.

As I was telling him goodbye, I sang this song to him.
I used to sing this song to him often.
He was so misunderstood by so many people.
But I loved him despite it all.
And I miss him terribly.














21 comments:

  1. Oh Rebecca, I am so, so sorry for your loss. My heart just aches for you. Prayers and hugs for you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Rebecca, I'm getting tears in my eyes :( I'm so sorry this happened so quickly...he is such a precious little dog and I'm sure he will be missed dearly by you. RIP Youri!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rebecca. My heart is breaking for you right now. I unfortunately know exactly how you are feeling. And it's not going to go away for a VERY long time. You did what you had to do. It's hard to be the one to make the decision, and I'm so sorry you had to do that. I'm giving you a great big virtual hug right now. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so so so so so sorry for your loss. Sudden death is the worst, and I can completely relate to this. Sending lots of love and hugs your way. You know where to find me if you need anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry! This had me crying. I've had to say goodbye to my dog unexpectedly and it's not easy. I cried for a couple of days. Hugs to you during this sad, sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww, I am so sorry. this is so sad. sending my love you way today!

    xo
    Classic & Bubbly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, I am so sorry. This sweet, touching post made me cry. I know how heartbreaking the loss of a pet can be. My heart is hurting for you. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. Sending lots of love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss!! i know exactly how it feels. at least there is now a guardian doggie angel watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I left a comment for you on Facebook but I didn't want to not comment here.

    I am still in shock over hearing this awful news. I didn't know Youri was 9 but with it being so sudden like that it's hard. That's the same way (sudden) I lost my German Shepherd 3 years ago. He was 11. He had been having problems, I took him to the vet and they sent him home saying he was dehydrated but would be fine. I went to the gym and my brother came running into the gym telling me to get home now. I did and I no sooner got there we were taking him to an emergency vet clinic and I had to make the decison right then and there when they confronted me with it. It was the worse thing I have ever done in life. Making that decision is the worst thing to ever have to be made to do. Just know that you aren't alone and you did the right thing. Youri had a great life with you and surely didn't deserve to suffer and you helped him. You did the right thing. I'm just so extremely sorry this had to happen. I'll be praying for you and thinking of you. Please email me if you need to talk or anything. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is very hard. Thinking of you and sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through! Lots of thoughts your way!!
    -Meesh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rebecca! I'm so sorry for your loss, that's so young to lose a pup. Lots of lovely thoughts heading your way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry!! I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry, Rebecca!! What a touching post, and I love the pictures. Youri had a great life because of you and I know that he will most certainly be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so so sorry love! I feel for you :( If you need anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry, Rebecca! Youri was so cute and I know so much fun to be around. You did the right thing by not making him suffer, but I know it has to be so hard. Our pets are so much more than just pets! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rebecca I'm so, so sorry to hear about your loss. This post has me in tears. :(

    You were such an angel for Youri and hopefully all of the good memories you had with him can put a smile on your face. Our pets are often times our best friends, when they go a piece of us goes with them.

    Take care and I'll be sending some positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Saying goodbye is never easy, no matter whom you say it to. I am sorry for your loss and may angels lead him in. Be good.

    Followed btw, hope you dont mind. And maybe youll visit me someday.



    thebookness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, this breaks my heart. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know this must be so hard for you. Pets are definitely like our children (I know I treat mine as such.) Youri was so lucky to have had a mom like you. I know you must miss him terribly - pets add so much to our lives - but I think it is very strong of you to have not made him suffer. What a hard decision -but it shows how much you care.

    Thinking about you and sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so, so sorry to hear about this. I'll be thinking of you. =(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by y'all! I love your comments, and I read each and EVERY one!